Golubac Fortress | Mahmud-Pasha’s hamam
16442
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-16442,single-format-standard,qode-listing-1.0.1,qode-social-login-1.0,qode-news-1.0,qode-quick-links-1.0,qode-restaurant-1.0,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1200,qode-theme-ver-12.1,qode-theme-bridge,bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.7,vc_responsive

Mahmud-Pasha’s hamam

Hamam

In his written account of the Outer Ward in front of Golubac Fortress, Evliya Chelebi, a 17th century Turkish explorer, recounted a number of buildings, amongst others the hammam (bathhouse)built by Mahmud-Pasha, who conquered Golubac Fortress in 1458.

Golubac hammam was a gendered space and as such open primarily to men, however women were probably allowed at a certain time during the day or week. It was made out of stone and brick. A hypocaust, space that served for circulation of hot air that heated the chambers above, was found below the floor level.

The chamber domes had small hexagonal openings for light and ventilation. The hammam was supplied with water from a spring located in the hillnearby. 

All parts of the hammam have been preserved: shadirvan or lounge and changing room; kapaluk – a warm room to which patrons retired to relax after bathing; cenife – toilets; mejdan – a sauna, also used for massage and intimate hygiene; halvate – two chambers, for hot and cold baths;  hazna – water reservoir, and culhan – boiler room.

Sources suggest that in 1546 the hammam and the shops brought a combined income of 800 akçe (silver coins) to Instanbul vakif (endowment).

Zone: Golubac Fortress Tourist area
Content: Archaeological park Western Outer Ward
Visit the permanent display Panorama of the Centuries –Visitor Centre